You already know by now that your biggest tools during ReFoReMo will be picture books! But, what else? Well, without this blog, the challenge wouldn’t be much. Sure, you can read picture books, and rely on your ninja-like reflexes to chop them apart and chew them up into bite-sized pieces. But hold on for a minute. We’ve got 27 author-educators lined up to share their perspectives on writing/illustrating. That means at least 27 different ways of looking at things, which equates to one great picture book education. Since this industry is so subjective, gathering the opinions of others matters a whole lot. But through it all, there is one opinion that can tell you more about who you are as a writer. Do you know whose opinion that is? Yours! Your inner editor will shape your voice and dictate what types of stories resonate with you. Does that mean you can’t learn from someone you disagree with? Of course not! There’s a lot to learn! So much, in fact, that a writer or illustrator can always learn more.
So, here’s a list of the tools you’ll need to proceed:
- This ReFoReMo blog- This also means you need a computer or a device that allows you to access the internet everyday for a month. And FYI- We have heard it is easier to leave comments and access all menus from a computer.
- Picture books
- A library or bookstore nearby (Don’t have one? That brings me to my next point)
- Our ReFoReMo Facebook group- This is the place to ask questions, share viewpoints, and even team up so that you get your hands on the picture book recommendations.
- A Notebook- Or you may prefer to use some of the prepared worksheets we have in our tools section.
- A writing utensil.
- Knowledge- or rather, how to find everything on our blog. Do you see that heading at the top that says REFOREMO? Hover over it. Wah-la! A whole list of places to go! There you will find our calendar of speakers, and a little about your coordinators, our reading list (released on the 23rd), the 2015 challenge posts, and an explanation of the ReFoReMo goals.
Speaking of goals, do you know our ReFoReMo goals?
Our broad generalized goal is to develop a regular habit of reading for research consistently in order to enhance our writing and illustration.
Our more focused goals are listed here:
Read author-educator posts featuring 10 stellar picture book models and how to use the texts to grow. Reserve library books & reflect on your own manuscripts.
Set a goal to read 5 PBs books each day. Author-educators will offer 5 recommendations with super short edu-posts to allow you more time for reading & researching.
5 books x 21 days = 105 books!
Take notes as you go and join us in our private Facebook Group to discuss revelations and additional recommendations. Team up with others to discuss the books and posts in detail.
After the first complete week, we will utilize the Saturdays that follow for reflection and application to our own writing. We will take a blog break on Sunday the 13th, 20th, and 27th. These three Sundays might also give you a chance to catch up on your reading.
Registration opens next Monday, February 15 at 6 am CST and will be open until Monday March 1 at 11 pm CST. If you are already registered for the blog, you will just have one additional easy registration step to perform and a few other optional steps. If you want to be eligible for prizes during ReFoReMo, you will need to be properly registered. All the details will be in next Monday’s post! Are you excited?