Please follow these steps to get registered:
1. If you have not already, subscribe to this ReFoReMo blog using the box on the right hand side. You will see a little captcha box pop up after entering your email address, so please don’t skip that step. A verification email will come to your email inbox. Confirm that email and you will be set to receive blog posts. A very limited number of updates will arrive before February 26. You will receive three days of PreReFoReMo posts, and from there on out, you will receive the author-educator posts from March 1-31. Please feel free to leave comments for the author-educators each day. They are writing rock-stars! This challenge would be 31 days of me blah-blah-blahing in your ear without them. *big grin*
2. At the bottom of this post, there is a comment section titled, “Leave a Reply.” Fill out the reply form completely, making sure you list the same email address that you used to subscribe in step #1. (Your email will not be visible to the public unless you put it in the comment box.) Listing your email will assist admin in knowing if you are registered properly, so please do not skip this step. Then, use the comment box to repeat your FIRST and LAST NAME as the first words of your one sentence comment. Example: CARRIE CHARLEY BROWN is ready to read! If you don’t want to use a sentence, feel free to just leave your name in the comment box. Example: CARRIE CHARLEY BROWN If you need assistance, please contact Carrie by email, and leave this comment feed open only for registrations.
You must have steps one and two completed by March 1 at 11 pm CST in order to qualify for prize entries at the conclusion of ReFoReMo.
3. Optional: Head on over to the private ReFoReMo Facebook group and request to be admitted. It was designed to build community and host discussions about picture books as mentor texts. Prior to February 26, we will post one link each day to serve as a research prompt. You are also welcome to start discussions about mentor texts on your own. Please refrain from promoting events or posts unrelated to picture books as mentor texts. Once ReFoReMo officially begins, we will feature the link to our daily author-educators. (The blog post will also be delivered to your inbox.) We will check to make sure you are properly registered with steps 1 and 2 before adding you to the Facebook group. Thank you for your patience while we take care of everyone.
4. Standing ovation for illustrator Lori Nawyn!!! She created this amazing participation badge for us to use on our websites and/or social media sites! Please link the badge back to this address: http://www.carriecharleybrown.com/what-is-reforemo.html
6. Prizes and eligibility will be announced at a later date. When March 1 rolls around, keep your research notebook close by and keep track of what you read each day. To be eligible for prizes, you will want to make efforts to consistently read picture books on a day to day basis. While I have dangled a huge goal of reading five picture books a day from March 8-28, I realize that life gets in the way. The idea is to read consistently and utilize the mentor texts as study tools to help you with your current writing goals. Whether that is one picture book each day or five, your efforts will enhance your writing.
That's it for now! Official PreReFoReMo blog posts will begin on February 26. A special SURPRISE guest-educator will join us on February 28! You won't want to miss out! Get ready to rock your writing with mentor texts!
Carrie Charley Brown is a professional critique mentor with an editorial eye. She is the founder of ReFoReMo, a research challenge for picture book writers. Carrie is a children’s writer, kidlit video producer, writing coach, and dedicated blogger. She was a 2014 CYBILS fiction picture book panelist and an elementary teacher. You can follow her writing journey right here on this blog.